A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cover placed over a tooth and secured with dental cement. Crowns are generally used to improve the strength or appearance of the tooth. A dental impression usually takes place in order to fabricate the crown.
Most crowns are made from gold or porcelain, or a combination of porcelain and metal alloy:
- Porcelain dental crowns are aesthetically more appealing and very natural looking.
- Gold is usually used on the back teeth, is easier to use than porcelain and requires less tooth be drilled away.
Crowns are used to protect broken, worn down teeth. They are also used to cover dental implants, a dental bridge, or a tooth with a large filling.
Bridges are used as a replacement for a missing tooth by attaching permanently to adjoining teeth or dental implants. They are an alternative to dental implants or dentures. Bridges are important because the teeth on either side of a missing tooth can shift and potentially lead to gum disease. Bridges are most often made with porcelain and gold.
Benefits of Dental Bridges:
- Prevents moving and erosion
- Last a long time
- Restore ability to chew properly
- Maintain the shape of the face
- Restore smile
- Aesthetically appealing
To learn more about dental crowns and bridges, or to schedule your consultation,
contact Divine Dental in Charlotte, NC at (704) 548-0870 today!